14 February 2005

For Valentine's Day...

    You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain
    Too much of love drives a man insane
    You broke my will, but what a thrill
    Goodness gracious great balls of fire
      -Jerry Lee Lewis
Just in time for Valentine's Day is this story from the Associated Press. Why, of all things, did I decide to post this? I guess part of it is the while morbid curiosity car crash thing, but that's not all of it. I am fascinated by the sentences in the article. The combine words and phrases you would never expect to see together. Consider the first sentence of the article follows suit:
Mary Kay Letourneau plans to marry the former sixth-grade pupil with whom she had two children, months after her release from prison for raping him, according to an online bridal registry.
Marry... two children... prison... raping him... bridal registry. Bridal registry! Reuters has a similar article with a headline that cuts to the chase:
Washington teacher to wed former student she raped
I could go on cut/pasting choice phrases, but the links are here, so I won't.
I don't know precisely what to think of it all. It fucked up on so many levels....

Postscript: If the text of this post seems different, it's because the original threw an error in Blogger and they deleted it. I guess this was too screwed up for them as well.

Post postscript: The spell checker wanted to replace Letourneau with latrine. I guess it knows more than me.

1 comment:

Rob S. said...

So very wrong.